On this page:
Note: All links going to other websites will open in the same window. Use the Back button to return to our site.
The Washington, DC – Baltimore (WDCB) Chapter of the Society for Technical Communication (STC) serves members in the Washington, DC metropolitan area (the District of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland) and the Baltimore metropolitan area (Baltimore, Eastern Shore, and Chesapeake Bay). We also have members who live in West Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, California, Canada, and France! The Society for Technical Communication (STC) is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation for those interested in the arts and science of technical communication. STC is a professional society of content strategists, writers, editors, and others who communicate technical content.
Chapter Events and News
- Events and News
- Chapter Volunteers Needed
Volunteer Openings Updated: 2017-09-05
- Job Listings
WDCB Jobs Board [check the job listings daily or subscribe to the local RSS feeds]
- Technical Communication Competition
Please consider participating this year in the chapter's Technical Communication Competition.
The STC WDCB Technical Communication Competition The Deadline has been Extended Again!
New Entry deadline: Wednesday, 27 December 2017, 7 p.m. Eastern Time
Read about the entry requirements and download entry forms at the WDCB Technical Communication Competition website.
STC's 2018 Membership Season is Open
STC membership is based on a calendar year. All memberships expire on 31 December. Individuals joining STC for the first time (or former members whose membership has lapsed more than one year) pay Society dues, a $15.00 enrollment fee, and chapter and SIG fees (if applicable). Because the full range of STC products and services is available to members immediately upon joining or renewing, STC dues are nonrefundable.
Note: Your dues may be tax deductible. For information, see https://www.stc.org/deduct-your-dues/
Join or Renew your STC membership today to continue receiving exclusive benefits such as the member rate for the 2018 Summit in Orlando, Florida (STC's annual conference and exposition).
We encourage you to add the Washington, DC – Baltimore Chapter as your home chapter or in addition to other chapters and SIGs you may join. Why should you join STC and the Washington, DC – Baltimore Chapter? The Washington, DC – Baltimore Chapter offers many opportunities to network with others in your field such as First Friday Lunches, InfoDecDC Meetups, Happy Hours, and other chapter events. You can explore your interests and expand your education and skills by attending webinars, TC Summer Camp, and participating in chapter committees and our technical communication competition. See Why Should You Join the WDCB Chapter? for more reasons to join the chapter.
See the following links for more information about STC and how to join:
- Membership dues: STC's 2018 membership season is now open!
- Chart of membership levels and dues at STC Membership Levels and Benefits.
- Adjusted dues for Emerging Nations: Countries and Territories with Adjusted Dues
- Adjusted dues for retired members: Retired membership Note: Retired membership renewals must be completed by paper form, or by contacting the STC office at 703-522-4114. Online renewals for retired members is not available. To qualify for retired membership, you must be 65 years of age or older, working 20 hours or less in the field, and be a consecutive member of STC for 10 years or more.
- Corporate Value Program (CVP) membership: The CVP enables organizations to purchase a package of individual memberships for an entire team, at a discounted rate.
Why should you join STC and the WDCB Chapter? The WDCB chapter offers opportunities to network with others in your field, to explore your interests, and to expand your education and skills.
STC has the resources you need to help you do your job better and move your career forward. Through education with STC, you can become a Certified Professional Technical Communicator™ (CPTC).
Partnerships & Sponsorships
The STC Washington, DC – Baltimore (WDCB) Chapter is always seeking sponsors for our monthly meetings. If you're interested in promoting your business or organization while supporting the tech comm (#techcomm) community in the Washington, DC – Baltimore area, we want to hear from you!
Partner with us
- Wish List for donations
- How to Donate Equipment or Services to the Chapter
- Past Chapter Partnerships & Sponsorships
- STC's 65th Annual Conference: Technical Communication Summit 2018, 20-23 May 2018
in Orlando, Florida
- Session Materials from STC's 64th Annual Conference: Technical Communication Summit 2017
- Session Materials from STC's 63rd Annual Conference: Technical Communication Summit 2016
- Session Materials from STC's 62nd Annual Conference: Technical Communication Summit 2015
- Session Materials from STC's 61st Annual Conference: Technical Communication Summit 2014
- Session Materials from STC's 60th Annual Conference: Technical Communication Summit 2013
- STC's Previous Annual Conferences Session Materials
- Annual Conference Dates
The Society for Technical Communication advances technical communication as the discipline of transforming complex information into usable content for products, processes, and services. STC serves its members by identifying and promoting best practices in the field and by demonstrating the economic value delivered by technical communicators. By providing lifelong learning opportunities, we help our members develop their skills and competencies so that they may advance in a variety of career paths.
For answers to frequently asked questions, see our FAQs.