The chapter is unable to offer an award this year.
The STC Washington, DC – Baltimore (WDCB) Chapter regrets that it cannot offer the Shirley G. Carter memorial award this year. We look forward to offering it to qualifying students in the future.
The Shirley G. Carter Memorial Award is intended to further the education of college students who may, upon graduation, contribute to the technical communication profession in Maryland, DC, or Virginia. Awards are given to a graduate and an undergraduate who meet the following requirements:
- College student with at least a sophomore standing enrolled in a degree program (graduate, undergraduate, or associate) at a District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia university or college
a resident of the District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, fully enrolled with at least a sophomore standing in a degree program (graduate, undergraduate, or associate) at any university or college
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A degree program in technical communication is preferred but other disciplines are acceptable. All applicants should show promise of contributing to the technical communication field after they graduate.
To apply for an award, students must complete the following items:
- Submit a 500-word essay answering the following question: “How do you demonstrate your commitment to technical communication outside the classroom?”
- Submit a School, official transcript of grades
- Submit at least two letters of recommendation
- Submit the following application.
* indicates a required field.