In this section:
On this page:
Note: All links going to other websites will open in the same window. Use the Back button to return to our site.
The following items are opportunities to volunteer your time, resources, or services to help your neighbors and your community.
- National External Diploma Program (NEDP) of Fairfax County
- The National External Diploma Program is looking for volunteers for the National External Diploma Program to tutor adults in writing. NEDP is a high school completion program for adults, which emphasizes practical life skills (and practical writing skills). The program allows adults to complete high school and receive diplomas through skills demonstration rather than tests or formal classroom study. For details, see the Volunteer Learning Program (VLP) Tutor FAQs.
- American Red Cross Recruits Volunteers
- The American Red Cross is recruiting volunteers to serve local needs.
- Arlington County Volunteer Office
- Get connected to your community! Online Volunteer Connection, Volunteer Emergency Support Team (VEST), Community Volunteer Network (CVN), Volunteer Manager Resources, County Government Opportunities, County Commissions & Advisory Groups, Volunteer Arlington Activities.
- Arthritis Foundation
- The Arthritis Foundation has several opportunities for volunteers to participate in health fairs, special events, speaking engagements, and office assistants in the Washington DC metropolitan area. To find a volunteer opportunity that's right for you, use the VolunteerMatch to locate local opportunities in your community.
- Caring Communities
- Respite care resources for families of children with disabilities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area (District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia). Has respite care training for teens and adults.
- Hands on DC
- Hands on DC is the leading and largest coordinator of volunteerism in the region. If you are looking for volunteer opportunities in a variety of ways, see Get Involved. Hands on DC offers all kinds of volunteer opportunities.
- Literacy Council of Northern Virginia
- Literacy Council of Montgomery County
- ProLiteracy champions the power of literacy to improve the lives of adults and their families, communities, and societies. The ProLiteracy Education Network (EdNet) provides free instructional resources to adult literacy and ESOL instructors, learners, and program staff.
- The Reading Connection Needs volunteers for reading out loud, book drives, gift wrapping, and more. For more information about volunteering, see http://www.thereadingconnection.org/volunteer
- Northern Virginia Association for Volunteer Administration (NVAVA)
- NAVA is a professional nonprofit membership organization for people committed to the effective involvement of volunteers in community programs and services.
- Quality Education for Minorities (QEM)
- The QEM Network is a nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C. dedicated to improving the education of African Americans, Alaska Natives, American Indians, Mexican Americans, and Puerto Ricans.
- Student Stream Teams
- Student Stream Teams is a National Parks Lab partnership between the Potomac area national parks and schools. Join Stream Teams, adopt a stream in Prince George's County, and make a difference! Call 301-883-5822.
- Volunteer CityMatch
- Find volunteer opportunities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- WAMU 88.5 fund raising
- Contact WAMU for volunteer information in the following areas:
- WETA fund raising
- Contact WETA for volunteer information in the following areas:
- General: 703-998-2697
- WETA-FM FM91 Marathons: 703-998-3407
- TV26 Pledge Drives: 703-998-3407
- Station Tours: 703-998-2696
Many organizations in the Washington, DC metropolitan area accept donations for a wide variety of items. Some of these are
- Arlington County's list of donation-accepting organizations
- The Arlington County Volunteer Office lists the following categories: Appliances, Bicycles, Books, Cars, Cellular Phones, Clothing, Computers, Food, Furniture/Office Equipment, Medical Supplies, Miscellaneous, and Toys.
- Arthritis Foundation
- The Arthritis Foundation is looking for office equipment such as laptop computer, PowerPoint® projector, camera, office chairs and bookshelves, scanner, desk (L-shaped), desktop printer, portable tabletop display, large-screen computer monitors, ergonomically designed computer accessories such as keyboard cradles, etc. Contact the Metro Chapter Office at 202-537-6800.
- Washington Area Wheelchair Society
- The Washington Area Wheelchair Society (8220 Mayor Lane, Silver Spring, MD 20910-4576; Phone: 301-495-0277) accepts durable medical equipment in good shape, such as wheelchairs, hospital beds, stair glides (electric stair elevators), scooters, and other equipment. Even though delivery is requested, it is possible to drop the donation off at a designated location. Email: email@example.com
- Salvation Army
- Donations online and other areas of help.
- Local Red Cross
- If you are a Medical professional and willing to help please contact your local American Red Cross office.
Contact Information for Blood Donation
The American Red Cross is encouraging people nationwide to donate blood, and to keep blood donation appointments if they already have them. "We will need to replenish our supply in the coming weeks," says Red Cross spokeswoman Dawn Marks. "No matter where you are in the country, you can help by donating." The toll-free number to call is 1-800-GIVE LIFE.
- National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster
- Cooperation, communication, coordination, collaboration in disaster response.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Emergency resources. FEMA does not accept donations, but works closely with volunteer agencies that provide a wide variety of services after emergencies, including childcare, crisis counseling, sheltering and food.
Chapter Volunteer Opportunities
For information about volunteer programs the chapter may be involved in, contact the chapter president at chapter president
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.