In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Website Team
Act as a co-administrator for the WDCB main site. This is a content management system (CMS) website that holds the information about the chapter—it is not open for posts. No users will need to register to use or to log on to the site except the admins.
You are expected to be an active participant in maintaining the assigned chapter website.
- Update pages as needed for new chapter officers, committee members, chapter and chapter members honors and awards, and competition information.
Most updates will be done by editing the php includes files using the admin pages editor in /Appearance/Editor. Or edits may be done offline using an htmlCSS text editor then uploading the updated files to the website's /wp-content/themes/aaron-child/includes folder using FTP. Only having to update the includes files ensures uniform updates across the site.
Maintain pages using the WordPress Text Editor. Or you may prefer to keep a set of the page contents in offline files to edit with your htmlCSS text editor then copy and paste the file contents to the WordPress page.
- Ensure all links to sites going away from our site use
- Ensure all links do not use
- Ensure all links do not use
- Ensure all image links use the
alt="₀"attribute to describe the image and that image links do not use
- Monitor and upgrade WordPress versions as needed.
- Monitor and upgrade WordPress plugins as needed.
- Monitor Google Webmaster Tools for suspicious activity; resolve problems identified.
- Monitor all security reports for suspicious activity; add bad IP addresses to the Black List.
Experience and Skills
- WordPress skills
- Familiarity with the WordPress.org 5.8+ text editor for updating posts and information on the website
- Familiarity with HTML 5+, and CSS2 / CSS 3 editing to create and maintain accessible posts and pages for hand coding to add accessibility compliance if needed
- Familiarity with using / editing PHP 7.7 / PHP 8+ include statements to include repetitive sections of HTML or text and modularized data on multiple pages in the website
- Accessibility / Section 508 requirements
- MySQL Database management, necessary
- Knowledge of and access to FTP software
- Familiarity with file maintenance and version control
- Experience with Adobe PhotoShop and Adobe Acrobat helpful
- Ability to take initiative
- Good time management
- Willing to ask for help when needed
- Site management experience.
- Your own computer with high-speed Internet access
- Browser (Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome)
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- FTP application (FileZilla)
- HTML5 / CSS3 / PHP7 text editor (such as BBEdit for Macintosh or Homesite 5 for Windows)
- Word processing software
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Adobe Photoshop (or equivalent photo editing tool)
- Adobe Illustrator
- FAX or scanner (optional)
Expect to spend 5 to 10 hours a week during turnover periods between chapter years updating changes to chapter officers, event schedules, competitions, and so forth. Expect to spend 2 to 4 hours a week for other pages as needed and for monitoring Google Webmaster Tools, and tracking down and fixing hacking attempts, updating WordPress, updating plugins, and updating pages as needed.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.