In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Publicity
Write or edit submitted articles for the Events & News site. Write about upcoming events to encourage people to attend.Write posts for the chapter's Events & News site located at https://events.stcwdc.org/.
- Ensure posts are accessible for all users.
- Ensure images are delivered to the viewer at sufficient high speed and quality.
- Create image links and ensure links are up to date.
- Respond promptly to blog comments.
- Research, write / edit articles in a conversational style, which engages readers.
Posts may be on any subject related to technical communication or chapter news. Some topics include
- Book reviews
- Event reports
- Job hunting tips
- Tools and techniques
- STC news (input received from the Society office)
- Chapter member interviews
- Education and training opportunities
Experience and Skills
- Good writing organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to find photos or create graphics to accompany the post
- Good time management
- Willing to ask for help when needed
- Previous blog writing experience is a plus
- WordPress skills
- WordPress 4.9.1+ Text Editor enough to post announcements
- Accessibility / Section 508 requirements
- HTML 5, necessary
- Hand coding, necessary
- PHP 7+, helpful
- CSS 3, helpful
- Your own computer with high-speed Internet access
- Browser (Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome)
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar and other tools)
- FTP application (FileZilla)
- HTML5 / CSS3 / PHP7 text editor (such as BBEdit for Macintosh or Homesite 5 for Windows)
- Word processing software
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Adobe Photoshop (or equivalent photo editing tool)
- Adobe Illustrator
- FAX or scanner (optional)
Approximately ½ to ¾ hour per post.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.