In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Events
For one event, coordinate the speaker, meeting room logistics, equipment, handouts, and catering. You will receive instructions on how to handle each of these components, and will work with a team to make the event successful. This is a great way to ease into event management while also qualifying for a reduced price admission at the event you are managing.
- Scout and reserve locations (see the Events Planning Resources and venus used in past events).
- Locate individuals and organizations willing to donate services such as design, printing, mailing, and facilities.
- Set schedule for the event and procure speakers, if any.
- Work with the Treasurer about cost of speaker renumeration and lodging, if needed.
- Coordinate the speaker and/or workshop, housing logistics, speaker honorarium, and handouts.
- Get a copy of the speaker's bio and a photo.
- Ask speaker if handouts for the presentation will be available and whether they will permit posting the presentation to our website (see Speakers' Handouts and Presentations page). (They may request that the material will be password protected. If protected, for how long?.)
- After the event, send any files for presentation slides, handouts, or recordings to the Web Diva for posting to the Speakers' Handouts and Presentations page.
- Make room arrangements and catering needs.
- Prepare copy with information about each event for posting to Eventbrite, the Events & News website, and social media (event description, date, time, menu, price, number of seats available, speaker bio and photo, location, parking, nearest Metro station, accessibility of the location).
- Monitor Eventbrite to track number of registrations and event payments.
- Manage attendee communication through email and EventBrite. Note that individual EventBrite orders and returned invitations with a status of "maybe" may include comments that you should check.
- Provide an accurate count of attendees and meal choices for ordering meals for the event.
- Prepare name badges, sign-in sheets, and signage as needed.
- Be responsible for the condition of the location site after the event.
- Provide information to the events manager about costs and logistics to be put into the Eventbrite invitation.
Experience and Skills
- Familiarity with Facebook and Twitter use
- Familiarity with LinkedIn and other social media outlets
- WordPress.org 5.8.1 Text Editor enough to post announcements
- Experience working with or willing to learn and use online project management tools such as Basecamp
- Ability to post status updates to social meda, the website, or to the administrative council
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Computer with reliable Internet access
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
- HTML / CSS / PHP text editor
Optional items that may be helpful:
- FAX or scanner
- Acrobat Pro
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
4-6 hours plus attendance at the event.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.