In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Publicity
The Publicity Committee Manager increases public awareness of our profession, our community, the Society, and recruits new members. The preferred candidate has a marketing or public relations background.
The Publicity Committee produces and distributes monthly posters, press releases and announcements to advertise general meetings; cultivates new PR media channels; fields new member inquiries; establishes liaisons with other communities and branches of other communication organizations; provides promotional material for special events; and provides information for the website.
- In November or December, develop a budget for planned projects for the year ahead.
- Guide members of the committee so that all committee duties are fulfilled.
- Develop and distribute a contact list of committee members and their roles.
- Publicize chapter members’ professional accomplishments to the blog and social media committees.
- Work with the Membership committee to create and promote membership drives.
- Work with the Events and the Competition committees to develop promotional material.
- Work with the Education and the Employment Outreach committee members to distribute materials and promote presence at local academic institutions. May also
- Receive list of student award winners to publicize
- Send notices about the winners to the media
- Publicize the annual officer elections with the help of the Nominating committee.
- Work with the Education, Events, and Competition committees to develop ideas to raise funds for the chapter's operating expenses and to get sponsorships for the monthly meetings, competitions, and special evetns.
- Submit a monthly status report by email to the President and Vice-President (or post to the Admin Council Group's monthly status reports files) regarding all current and upcoming committee activities.
Experience and Skills
- Familiarity with Forum and Wiki use
- Familiarity with Facebook and Twitter use
- Familiarity with LinkedIn and other social media outlets
- WordPress.org 6.1.1+ Text Editor enough to post announcements
- Experience working with or willing to learn and use online project management tools such as Basecamp
- Ability to lead a team and to work on a team
- Previous experience managing a committee is a plus
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Computer with reliable Internet access
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
- HTML / CSS / PHP text editor
Optional items that may be helpful:
- FAX or scanner
- Acrobat Pro
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
20-40 hours per year.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.