In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Education
Screeners are drawn from the ranks of science teachers, engineers, and scientists of multiple disciplines. There are subject matter experts (SMEs) from many fields who can accurately evaluate projects at both the Junior and Senior divisions. Technical communicators act as SMEs for presentation of projects.
There are two main criteria used in the screening process:
- Scientific Method
- In evaluating the student's use of the Scientific Method, the screener will review the project to determine if the student has, for example, formulated a testable hypothesis, used an adequate sample size, conducted enough trials for good statistical analysis, used a control (if appropriate), and other criteria specific to the student's project. The screener will use similar criteria for engineering, mathematical, or computer science projects.
- In evaluating the project for Presentation, the screener will review the student's Science Fair Notebook and Display Board to determine if the student has included those items that will communicate to the reader the student's understanding of the project, the process of how the student performed the experiment, and the analysis of the results obtained from the experiment. Typical areas screened will be the abstract, background research, bibliography, charts and data, graphics, grammar, and spelling.
Experience and Skills
- Familiarity with Facebook and Twitter use
- Familiarity with LinkedIn and other social media outlets
- WordPress.org 6.1.1+ Text Editor enough to post announcements
- Ability to post status updates to social meda, the website, or to the administrative council
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Computer with reliable Internet access
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
- HTML / CSS / PHP text editor
Optional items that may be helpful:
- FAX or scanner
- Acrobat Pro
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
Screeners: 6 hours in January.
Judges: 6 hours in January.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.