In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Volunteers
(Based on mentoring program in Orlando Chapter.)
The chapter's Mentoring Program provides a way for chapter members to give back to college students or recent college graduates who are interested in becoming a technical communicator.
The Mentoring Program Manager does the following specific tasks:
- Assign mentors and mentee pairs, using data on application forms.
- Follow up by phone to mentors and mentees to discuss progress, problems, and ideas at least
once per month.
- Remain accessible to both mentors and mentees to deal with questions or problems.
- Report on progress of mentoring program to the Chapter Administrative Council.
- Document program results in an appropriate STC forum.
Experience and Skills
- WordPress.org 4.9.1+ Text Editor enough to post announcements
- Ability to post status updates to social meda, the website, or to the administrative council
- Experience working with online project management tools such as Basecamp
- Previous experience managing a mentoring program or participating in a mentoring program, helpful
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Computer with high-speed Internet access
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
- HTML / CSS / PHP text editor
Optional items that may be helpful:
- FAX or scanner
- Acrobat Pro
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
8 hours per month
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.