In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Education
The Education Committee plans, organizes, and executes the annual Austin T. Brown High School Technical Communication Competition and the Shirley G. Carter Memorial Award Competition. Activities include the production and distribution of forms, receipt and judging of entries, production and distribution of letters of award notification, presentation of awards, and disposition of all other entries. The committee also helps respond to inquiries about technical communication educational resources in the Washington, DC area. Committee members may also participate in community educational programs.
In lieu of, or in addition to, the high school competitions, the Education Committee may coordinate judges of high school science fair abstracts.
The Education Committee Advisor does the following specific tasks:
- In June or July, assist the committee manager with developing a budget for planned projects for the year ahead (a sample budget is available).
- Help recruit committee members and judges.
- Guide members of the committee so that all committee duties are fulfilled.
Experience and Skills
Previous experience managing the Education Committee.
- Your own computer with high-speed Internet access
- Browser (Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome)
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
8 hours per month
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.