In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Education
A panel of professional scientists, educators, editors, and writers judge the entries for the Austin T. Brown High School Technical Communication Award. Each entry will be numerically rated using established judging criteria. The emphasis in the competition is more on clear and concise writing than on advanced scientific knowledge.
Judges will consider the overall quality of the student's writing, including presence of a coherent thesis; proper organization, including effective use of headings and subheadings; correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling; effective use of graphics; and proper use and documentation of reference materials and sources.
Each judge prepares detailed constructive feedback for each entry they judge.
Experience and Skills
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
Additional reference material:
- HOWTO—3 Easy Steps to Grading Student Essays explains how to grade a student essay with a rubric
- Grading Written Assignments from the University of Washington, Political Science/JSIS/LSJ Writing Center, Tools for TAs and Instructors
- Grading Student Writing: Tips and Tricks to Save You Time (.pdf) by Kevin Yee, University of South Florida
- For more resources, see "Tools, Tips, and Templates" at the bottom of our Communication Resources: Writing and Editing page
- Computer with high-speed Internet access
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
- HTML / CSS / PHP text editor
Optional items that may be helpful:
- FAX or scanner
- Acrobat Pro
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
Screeners: 6-8 hours over a 2-week period in January
Judges: 6 hours on a Saturday in late January
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.