In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Chapter Competition
You will receive instructions on how to handle each of these components, and will work with a team to make the event successful. All to-do items are outlined in the Basecamp project plan.
- Scout and locate facilities for three events: judge training and pickup day, consensus meeting, and the awards celebration
- Make room arrangements and catering needs for the pickup meeting, judging meetings, consensus meeting, and the awards celebration
- Locate individuals and organizations willing to donate services such as design, printing, mailing, and facilities
- For online communication entries that require computer equipment, find equipment for judges to use to review the entries, if needed. Judges should br encouraged to bring their own equipment to the consensus meeting.
- Arrange for equipment to be on site and working when required
- Work with the judging manager to ensure food and refreshments are provided for the judging events
- Work with the competition judging and entries managers for installing the entries to be reviewed
- Be responsible for return of the equipment and the condition of the consensus judging site
- Arrange for any equipment that is necessary for displaying online winners at the awards celebration; set up the display of winning entries at the event; be responsible for return of the equipment; be responsible for the condition of the event location after the event
- Work with the competition committee to determine whether a speaker or workshop will be included
- Coordinate the speaker and/or workshop, housing logistics, speaker honorarium, and handouts
- Arrange for and post Eventbrite reservation information
- Receive RSVPs for the awards celebration
Experience and Skills
- Event planning and marketing experience is helpful.
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Computer with high-speed Internet access
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
- HTML / CSS / PHP text editor
Optional items that may be helpful:
- FAX or scanner
- Acrobat Pro
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
About 10 hours for scouting / locating facilities and preparing for each event: estimate 2 hours for the pickup meeting (November/December), 2 hours for the consensus meeting (December/January), 3 hours for the awards celebration (March/April), plus attendance at each event.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.