In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Competition Committee
This position should be filled by an enthusiastic volunteer. This role involves a medium to high level of effort from August through April. You will receive instructions on how to handle each of these components, and will work with a team to make the event successful. All to-do items are outlined in the Basecamp project plan.
The Competition Manager manages the chapter's annual technical documentation competition. The preferred candidate is well organized and has a flexible schedule during the months of the competition schedule. The Competition Manager works closely with STC International to organize, publicize, and manage the competition. The Competition Manager works with others in the Administrative Council to publicize and manage the events and manage the budget.
- Organizes a committee of other volunteers to solicit and organize entries, recruit judges, manage the judging process, and celebrate the winners.
- Set the schedule: dates for the entry submission deadline, sorting day, the judging training / pickup, and the celebration, allowing time to mail eligible winning entries to the international competition before their deadline.
- Submit information to the Society office about the competition entry deadline and website.
- Ensure competition information is communicated to the chapter's email list, competition announcement lists, other email lists, and the STC office.
- Distribute meeting minutes to committee members to ensure to-do items and decisions are recorded.
- With other committee members, select a location for the awards celebration and coordinate related activities such as negotiating the menu and cost of the celebration (request the president's signature on the contract) and displaying winning entries.
- In September / October, prepare a budget of expenses and income for the year ahead (a sample budget is available).
- Guide members of the committee so that all committee duties are fulfilled.
- Develop and distribute a contact list of committee members and their roles.
- Submit a monthly status report by e-mail to the President and Vice-President (or post to the Admin Council Group's monthly status reports files) regarding all current and upcoming committee activities.
- Submit eligible winning entries, with appropriate fees, to the STC International Summit Awards (ISA) competition.
- See also, Competition Manager's specific committee responsibilities
Experience and Skills
- Familiarity with Facebook and Twitter use
- Familiarity with LinkedIn and other social media outlets
- Experience with online project planning and scheduling (the project is planned out using Basecamp)
- Ability to post status updates to social meda, the website, or to the administrative council.
- Ability to lead a team and to work on a team
- Previous experience managing a committee is a plus
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Computer with high-speed Internet access
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
- HTML / CSS / PHP text editor
Optional items that may be helpful:
- FAX or scanner
- Acrobat Pro
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
Approximately 12-15 hours per month between July / August through mid-April.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.