In this section:
On this page:
Committee affiliation: Chapter Competition
For one event, coordinate the speaker and/or workshops, hotel logistics, equipment, handouts, and catering. This is a great way to ease into event management while also qualifying for free attendance at the awards celebration you are managing.
You will receive instructions on how to handle each of these components, and will work with a team to make the event successful. All to-do items are outlined in the Basecamp project plan.
- Scout and locate a facility for the awards celebration
- Locate individuals and organizations willing to donate services such as design, printing, mailing, and facilities.
- Work with the competition manager to determine whether a speaker or workshop will be included:
- Coordinate the speaker and/or workshop, housing logistics, speaker honorarium, and handouts.
- Make room arrangements and catering needs for the awards celebration
- Work with the judging manager to determine how many tables are needed to display the winning entries.
- Have a table for the sign-in desk, badges, award ribbons, and handouts.
- Work with the judging manager to determine how many computers are needed for displaying the online winners.
- Determine what equipment is needed for the presentation of slides, if needed, and for a microphone for the speakers.
- Arrange for equipment to be on site and working when required.
- Arrange to have internet connection if needed.
- Work with the competition judging manager for installing or setting up online entries.
- Ensure easels or stands are available for displaying winning entries and signage.
- Prepare name badges, sign-in sheets, award ribbons, and signage as needed.
- Be responsible for the return of equipment and the condition of the awards location after the event.
- Coordinate “Who Brings What” and “Who Takes Home What” lists for the committee members.
- Arrange for and post Eventbrite reservation information and provide information to the communications and/ or social media manager for posting to the website, Facebook, Twitter, and STC Slack.
- Receive RSVPs for the awards celebration
Experience and Skills
- Event planning and marketing experience is helpful.
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Computer with reliable Internet access
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
- HTML / CSS / PHP text editor
Optional items that may be helpful:
- FAX or scanner
- Acrobat Pro
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
About 6-8 hours for scouting / locating facilities and preparing for the event. Plus about 3 hours attending the awards celebration (March/April) plus ½ hour clean-up after the event.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Volunteer Signup form.