In this section:
On this page:
The Audit Committee verifies the chapter's accounts and assets. The audit compares deposit slips, receipts, and checks with ledger entries for accuracy; verifies that all expenses were appropriate for the chapter and were charged to the correct account; and checks that the books balance and correspond to the chapter's bank statements. The audit committee should maintain an inventory and verify the whereabouts of equipment and software assets purchased for use by the chapter. The auditor may not be an active Administrative Council member.
Committee affiliation: Audit Committee
- In November or December, develop a budget for planned projects for the year ahead (a sample budget is available).
- Recruit a professional-level pro bono auditor for the chapter's books for the year. This person does not need to be an STC member.
- Guide members of the committee so that all committee duties are fulfilled.
- Develop and distribute a contact list of committee members and their roles.
- Submit a monthly status report by e-mail to the President and Vice-President (or post to the Admin Council Group's monthly status reports files) regarding all current and upcoming committee activities.
Experience and Skills
- Experience working with online project management tools such as Basecamp
- Ability to lead a team and to work on a team
- Previous experience managing a committee is a plus
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Computer with high-speed Internet access
- Email address (Google is preferred for working with Google calendar, Basecamp, and other tools)
- Word processing software
- HTML / CSS / PHP text editor
Optional items that may be helpful:
- FAX or scanner
- Acrobat Pro
- Adobe PhotoShop
- Adobe Illustrator
Approximately 8 hours or less per month.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Chapter Volunteer Signup Form.