2021 STC Fellow;
Formerly 2015 STC Associate Fellow; 2015 Immediate Past Chapter President; 2014 Chapter President; 2013 At-Large Director; 2012-2013 Membership Manager
Ugur Akinci has been a technical communicator for Fortune 100 corporations such as Honeywell, Fannie Mae, and ADP since 1998.
An STC member since 2001, Ugur has served his local STC
Washington, DC – Baltimore (WDCB) Chapter in the past as a
- Mentor Program manager, 2014-2016
- Chapter membership manager, 2012-2014
- Juror, Technical Communication Competition, 2010-2011
- Lead Juror, Technical Communication Competition, 2008-2009
- Lead Juror, Technical Communication Competition, 2005-2006
- Juror, Online Communication Competition, 2002-2003
His professional awards include
- STC Fellow, 2021
- STC Associate Fellow, 2015
- Award of Excellence, Technical Publications Competition, STC, 2014-2015
- Bravo Award for Technical Writing Excellence, Honeywell Access Systems, 2010
- Merit Award, Technical Publications Competition, STC, 2002-2003
- Merit Award, Technical Publications Competition, STC, 2001-2002
Citation for STC Fellow.
Citation for STC Associate Fellow.
Ugur launched his professional career back in the 80s as a NATO bi-lingual (Turkish-English) senior translator. Then, until the mid-90s, he worked as a writer, editor, and DTP (Desk Top Publisher) for various clients.
Between 1994-98, he worked as an NPC-member (National Press Club) reporter and columnist for a daily newspaper, covering the U.S. State Department and the U.S. Congress.
He studied Electrical Engineering and Sociology at the Middle East Technical University (ODTU) in Ankara, Turkey. He holds a B.A. in Sociology from University of Texas at Austin, as well as an M.A. and a Ph.D. in Sociology from Brown University.
Ugur's mission in life is to minimize disorganization and conflict, and maximize efficiency and happiness through better information design, communication, and training.
In addition to STC, he is also a member of the Toastmasters (Club # 1071650, Herndon, VA), and The Writer's Center (Bethesda, MD). He has served as a volunteer for Meals On Wheels organization.
Ugur is married, with one child. He loves reading, writing, public speaking, running, walking on the beach, listening to jazz and Bossa Nova, attending the concerts of Baltimore Symphony, watching a good movie, and sharing a good meal with family and friends.
If you’d like to take advantage of his free tech comm tips and tutorials, visit https://www.TechnicalCommunicationCenter.com today.
Personally connect with Ugur at
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/technicalwriter
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ugur.akinci.50
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/ugurakinciwriter/