In this section:
On this page:
Note: All links going to other websites will open in the same window. Use the Back button to return to our site.
Plan now to attend the STC Technical Summit (Annual Conference and Expo for technical communicators). Here's the who-what-when-where-why and how of this year's event, links for more information, and a list of future conference sites.
This Year's Conference
Conference Headquarters: Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
201 Waterfront Street
National Harbor, Maryland 20745
Gaylord National is just a 15-minute drive from Reagan National Airport and a 45-minute drive from both Dulles and Baltimore Washington International Airports. SuperShuttle and ExecuCar service are available from the airports to the hotel; Hertz is a Gaylord Hotels preferred partner for car rentals. For SuperShuttle and transportation schedules, fees, and driving directions, see Gaylord National Maps and Transportation.
National Harbor Entertainment Transportation
Gaylord National registered overnight guests can enjoy free transportation within National Harbor to MGM and Tanger on the National Harbor Circulator bus as part of the Resort Fee. The Harbor Shuttle bus runs daily 11am-4am. There is also a National Harbor Water Taxi that can take you into DC and Alexandria, VA.
Directions: For information about the National Harbor Shuttles, see the National Harbor Directions page (scroll down to the Harbor Shuttle section).
Public Transit: Use the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) bus line NH1 from D.C. or NH2 from Alexandria, VA.
Also see the Gaylord National Harbor Entertainment Transportation page for additional information.
National Harbor Welcome page for local attractions and amenities
- Session Schedule, Speakers, and Attendees
- Add the schedule to your mobile phone:
- Download iCal for Google Calendar, Outlook & Apple iCal
- Keynote Speaker: Seth Mattison
- Technical sessions covering topics such as education and training, online documentation, usability, Internet, World Wide Web, SGML, multimedia communication, management, professional development, theory and research, tools and technology, writing and editing
- Conference Proceedings
- Society annual business meeting
- Exposition (vendors of technical communication products and services, STC booths, display of STC Technical Communication Competition winners, vendor showcase sessions, and more).
- Preconference seminars and workshops
- Parties that only technical communicators would want to attend!
- Leadership Day: Sunday, May 7 • 8:00am – 12:00pm
- Hotel Costs (Gaylord National Resort): STC has negotiated a special conference room rate of $229 USD (plus applicable taxes and fees) for single or double accommodations at the Gaylord National Resort. This rate covers registrations 4 May – 11 May 2017. Reserve your rooms at the official Summit hotel, the Gaylord National Resort, for the STC contracted rate at https://aws.passkey.com/event/15224000/owner/54055/landing
- Hotel Details
- Room descriptions
- Gaylord Fitness Center & the Relâche Spa & Salon
- National Harbor Gaylord Resort and Hotel Map (not currently available)
- Conference Accessibility Notes:
- The Hotel Accessibility Amenities page lists all accessible entrances in the hotel. Of special note:
- Pool entrances are all accessible but self-operating lifts or sloped entry ramps are not available for pools
- Hotel has on-site accessible self-parking
- Service animals are allowed for persons with disabilities (otherwise, no pets)
- Urgent Care / Walk-in Health Facilities: Precision Orthopedics & Sports Medicine is approximately 3 blocks from the Gaylord National. Offers the following medical services: urgent care, primary care, orthopedics, sports medicine, pain management, podiatry, and nutrition services. Be sure to tell them you are there for their Urgent Care service.
- The Hotel Accessibility Amenities page lists all accessible entrances in the hotel. Of special note:
- Technical Communication Summit Registration Rates:
The first column shows the category, the second through fifth columns provide the fee for each type of membership.
Category Classic Membership* Gold Membership Student Membership Retired Membership Nonmember Early Bird:
1 Dec 2016 – 31 Jan 2017
$895 $895 $200 $595 $1,350 Advanced:
1 Feb – 31 March 2017
$1,150 $895 $200 $595 $1,550 Full Price:
1 April – 7 May 2017
$1,450 $895 $200 $595 $1,750 One Day:
8, 9, or 10 May 2017
$595 $595 $100 $500 $795 * New TC Professional Members pay the Classic Member rate.
The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Attend This Year's STC Annual Conference
10. You'll get lots of exercise touring the hotel and walking to and from Conference sessions. Explore our nation's capital from our National Harbor hotel. The spectacular waterfront resort, with a stunning 19-story glass atrium and sweeping views of the Potomac River, is steps from National Harbor's premier entertainment and shopping district and only 8 miles south of the nation's capital.The hotel offers resort-style amenities including a spa and fitness center, indoor pool, and six onsite restaurants.
9. You can easily complain to next year's Annual Conference committee about everything you don't like about this year's conference.
8. You will finally have a reason to hand out your business cards.
7. Where else are you going to meet the people on the TECHWR-L mailing list?
6. You'll develop professionally and expand your network of contacts.
5. Two words: tote bag!
4. Winners of the STC International Summit Awards Competition are on display
3. Exposition Hall and Vendor showcase sessions of the hottest tools
2. Singing and dancing
Get 20% off when you show your Summit badge!
The Gaylord Hotel provides a coupon book with a valued savings of $100 for area attractions including the National Harbor, just steps from the Gaylord. Visit the Local Area page for more information.
What Else Is There?
If you want to take a break from attending some sessions, or have a family member who is wondering how they can spend their time, there is plenty to do!
- Play: Whether you are coming alone, bringing the family, or entertaining a special friend, there are lots of places for children and adults to play! See the National Harbor's Play Overview page for a list of all the activities available for family fun, date nights, open water swimming, and other venus for getting away from it all.
- Shop: The Best Shopping in the D.C. Region. The National Harbor has more than 160 retailers for every kind of shopper. See the Shop Directory for shops in the Gaylord National Resort, The Waterfront, Tanger Outlets, and the casino's shops in the MGM National Harbor.
- Eat: Oh my goodness! There are more than 30 spots for foodies including fancy restaurants, steakhouses, piano bars, harbor-side dining, cozy coffee shops, and delectable sweets and chocolate shops. Enjoy classic American fare, a variety of ethnic cuisine, and Maryland crab cakes and oysters in the Gaylord National Resort, The Waterfront, Tanger Outlets, and the MGM National Harbor casino.
Where to Eat:
- The Gaylord National Resort hotel has many restaurants with a large variety of cuisines.
- Washington, DC Area Private Dining Venus Lists 256 private dining restaurants. Narrow your search by event size, neighborhood, cuisine, and price.
- Dining at Smithsonian Museums
- Popular Family Attractions
This is How You Harbor. Explore the National Harbor and tourist attractions in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
- MGM National Harbor
- Mid Atlantic Road Trips
- Smithsonian Museums
- National Zoo
- National Children's Museum
- National Air And Space Museum
- International Spy Museum
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Washington Monument
- Old Town Alexandria
- Mt. Vernon
- Andrews Air Force Base
- One of 25 Washington, DC Night Tours to see the monuments by moonlight—Beautiful!
There is a courtesy pick up at the Gaylord National Resort at 6:45 pm for the “Monuments by Moonlight tour”. Reservations are required.
Our Pinterest Tips
Visit the chapter's board on Pinterest for Things to Do in the Washington, DC and Baltimore metropolitan areas before, during, and after Summit 2017. The following is a sample of pins on this board.
Lots more on the full board!
Memories From Past Conferences
Need Help Convincing Your Boss?
If you need help convincing your manager, STC has created a sample letter you can use to make your case. Not sure the Summit is right for you? Take a peek at this highlight video from the 2016 Summit to give you a feel of what's in store when attending the Summit.
STC looks forward to seeing you at the 2017 Summit! For questions, please email email@example.com.
We Love Living Here: We Think You'll Like Visiting
Chapter and local STC members provide their insights for visiting this area for articles in the Intercom and on thia site.
- "10 Top Must-See Museums in Washington DC", Ugur Akinci, published in the January 2017 issue of Intercom Online, Volume 64, Issue 1, page 30.
- "10 More Places to See in Washington DC", Ugur Akinci, published in the February 2017 issue of Intercom Online, Volume 64, Issue 2, page 30.
- "Washington's Churches and Gardens", Cynthia A. Lockley, published in the March 2017 issue of Intercom Online, Volume 64, Issue 3, page 26.
- "Off Hours with the Rough Drafts", Viqui Dill, published in the March March 2017 issue of Intercom Online, Volume 64, Issue 3, page 40.
Travel Reference Links
- Amtrak and VIA train schedules
- American Greyhound Bus
- Subway Navigation in Washington, DC
- Speedtrap Registry identifies speedtraps in Canada, the U.S. and other countries
- Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) Thurgood Marshall Airport
- The small craft College Park Airport (Airport No. 1), the world's oldest continually operating airport founded in 1909 for the Wright Brothers and used to train pilots for World War I. There is also the College Park Aviation Museum you can visit.
- Washington Dulles International Airport
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- U.S. Customs Service and Border Protection Contact to obtain clearance for the entry of speakers without requiring work permits and to bring in most presentation materials and handouts.
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website for information about allowed items in baggage and carryons, traveling with a disability, acceptable luggage locks, and more:
- Currency conversion tools