In this section:
On this page:
Note: All links going to other websites will open in the same window. Use the Back button to return to our site.
Plan now to attend the STC Technical Summit (Annual Conference and Expo for technical communicators). Here's the who-what-when-where-why and how of this year's event, links for more information, and a list of future conference sites.
This Year's Conference
Conference Headquarters: Hyatt Regency Atlanta (12 miles from the airport)
265 Peachtree Street, NE
Atlanta, GA 30303-1294
Toll Free: 800-233-1234
Attendees: STC Members and others interested in the arts and sciences of technical communication
Anticipated attendance: 1100
WDC members who will attend the conference:
Carolyn Kelley Klinger,
- Over 80 technical sessions covering topics such as education and training, online documentation, usability, Internet, World Wide Web, SGML, multimedia communication, management, professional development, theory and research, tools and technology, writing and editing
- Conference Proceedings
- Society annual business meeting
- Exposition (vendors of technical communication products and services, STC booths, display of STC Technical Communication Competition winners, vendor showcase sessions, and more).
- Preconference seminars and workshops
- Tours of area sites of technical and general interest
- Parties that only technical communicators would want to attend!
- Leadership Day: 5 May 2013
- Hotel Costs (Hyatt Regency Atlanta): $169.00 Single or Double; $179.00 triple or quad. Guest room tax is 16%
- Technical Communication Summit Registration
- Really Early Bird – $825
- Early Bird – $950
- Advance – $1,050
- Walk-in – $1325
The Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Attend This Year's STC Annual Conference
10. You'll get lots of exercise touring the hotel and walking to and from Conference sessions.
9. You can easily complain to next year's Annual Conference committee about everything you don't like about this year's conference.
8. You will finally have a reason to hand out your business cards.
7. Where else are you going to meet the people on the TECHWR-L mailing list?
6. You'll develop professionally and expand your network of contacts.
5. Two words: tote bag!
4. Winners of the STC International Summit Awards Competition are on display
3. Exposition Hall and Vendor showcase sessions of the hottest tools
2. 11th Annual STC Open Jam (Monday, 8 p.m.)
1. Sightseeing & Souvenirs: Atlanta. See Inside CNN Studio Tours, the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, Martin Luther King, Jr. Center, Underground Atlanta shopping, Centennial Olympic Park, Atlantic Station, High Museum of Art, Philips Arena, Atlanta Botanical Garden, the Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Zoo Atlanta, and the Atlanta History Center.
Conference Accessibility Notes
- The Hyatt Regency Atlanta offers a limited number of accessible rooms. You should make your reservations as early as possible. Add comments on your reservation with regard to which amenities you will require for your room so they can accommodate your requests. If you need one of these rooms, call the Hyatt directly at +1 404-577-1234 and ask for the onsite reservations manager or front desk manager to ensure your requests are confirmed . Be sure to tell them you are coming for STC's Summit. If you need to arrange for a scooter or wheelchair to use during the Summit, contact ask the front desk manager for where you can rent a motorized scooter for up to five days including delivery and pick-up at the Hyatt.
- The floors where the education session rooms and the exhibit hall are located are easily accessed by elevators and escalators.
- The Hyatt common areas adhere to ADA requirements.
The staff at Hyatt Regency Atlanta is committed to ensuring that they meet and exceed all of the requirements for the Americans with Disabilities Act. The staff is trained to accommodate guests with special needs, so that all our guests, including those with disabilities, are able to have an enjoyable and safe stay. Hyatt Regency Atlanta wants to make sure all guests are able to take advantage of every activity the hotel has to offer.
- Accessible Room Types:
- ADA King Shower
- ADA King Tub
- ADA Double Shower
- ADA Double Tub
- Guest rooms are 380–406 square feet available with the following ADA accommodations:
- Hyatt Grand Bed®
- Audio/Visual smoke detectors
- Emergency strobe light and strobe light smoke detector
- Restaurant and room service menus in Braille
- Staff member proficient in sign language
- Wheelchair accessible doors with accessible key locks
- Wheelchair accessible climate controls for heat and air-conditioning
- Wheelchair accessible peepholes and door latch
- Wheelchair accessible closet poles
- Wheelchair accessible light switches
- Accessible bathroom
- Roll-in showers
- Bathtub bench and grab rails
- Raised toilet seats
- Additional accessible amenities available upon request
- 37-inch flat-screen TV with closed-captioning television decoder
- Cordless phone
- Telecommunication device for the deaf
- Telephone alerting device
- Front door alerting device
- Amplified telephone handset
- Vibratory alarm clocks
- Pharmacopia Natural Organic Bodycare products
- Café Valet Barista Single Serve Coffee Maker
- In-room safe
- Accessible public entrance
- Accessible registration desk
- Accessible swimming pool (when the outdoor pool is open for the season)
Travel Reference Links
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
- Atlanta Maps & Transportation
- Discover Atlanta Now the magazine in your hotel room for where to eat, where to stay, what to do, and where to shop.
- Atlanta Attractions
- Atlanta Visitor's Guide for where to eat, where to stay, what to do, and transportation.
- ACVB'S STANCE ON VOTING RIGHTS AND ACCESS 31March2021
"Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau (ACVB) stands solidly with our employees, colleagues, and their families in opposition to any legislation or action that restricts the rights or impacts access for Black, Brown and underrepresented communities to participate in the democratic process. We believe in a fair, accessible, and secure election process for all Georgians. We encourage our staff and all members of our hospitality industry to cast their votes and have their voices heard."
- Conference photos
- Conference Session Materials
- Annual conference dates
- Amtrak and VIA train schedules
- American Greyhound Bus
- Subway Navigation in Washington, DC
- Maryland Department of Tranaportation (MDOT) Maryland Transit Authority (MTA) Schedules for all modes: MARC, Local Bus, Light Rail, Metro Subway, Commuter Bus, MobilityLink. Updated
- Speedtrap Registry identifies speedtraps in Canada, the U.S. and other countries
- Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) Thurgood Marshall Airport
- The small craft College Park Airport (Airport No. 1), the world's oldest continually operating airport founded in 1909 for the Wright Brothers and used to train pilots for World War I. There is also the College Park Aviation Museum you can visit.
- Washington Dulles International Airport
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- U.S. Customs Service and Border Protection Contact to obtain clearance for the entry of speakers without requiring work permits and to bring in most presentation materials and handouts.
- Currency conversion tools
- Currency conversion tool – converts 164 currencies
- Currency exchange rates for Canadian, Euros, and U.S. dollars