On this page:
Committee affiliation: Website Team
Maintain the chapter's websites.
The website team committee manager is the super administrator webmaster for all the sites. The overall responsibilities of the chapter super admin webmaster includes the regulation and management of access rights of different users and roles of a website and the content management system (CMS), the assignment of website admins, assistant webmasters, site managers, user roles, and the appearance and setting up of website navigation. Responsibilities also include content placement, ensuring that the web servers' hardware and software are operating correctly, designing the website, generating and revising web pages, managing web forms and replying to user comments, and examining traffic through the site. The super admin webmaster sets up a Google Webmaster Tools account and uses Google Analytics to monitor traffic and break-in attempts. The webmaster must be well-versed in Web WordPress.org coding requirements, scripting software (HTML5, PHP5, and CSSS3) payment-processing software (plugins), and security software (plugins). Because of the RFC 822 requirement for establishing a "postmaster" email address as the single point of contact for the email administrator of a domain, the webmaster is also the postmaster and responsible for setting up and controlling email addresses for the domain. The super admin webmaster also establishes htaccess controls for the processing and security of all the websites.
- In November or December, develop a budget for planned projects for the year ahead.
- Guide members of the committee so that all committee duties are fulfilled.
- Develop and distribute a contact list of committee members and their roles.
- Publicize chapter members’ professional accomplishments to the blog and social media committees.
- Work with the Membership committee to create and promote membership drives.
- Work with the Events and the Competition committees to develop promotional material.
- Work with the Education and the Employment Outreach committee members to distribute materials and promote presence at local academic institutions.
- Publicize the annual officer elections with the help of the Nominating committee.
- Work with the Education, Events, and Competition committees to publicize award winners.
- Submit a monthly status report by e-mail to the President and Vice-President (or post to the Admin Council Group's monthly status reports files) regarding all current and upcoming committee activities.
- If there is no co-administrator:
- Respond to inquiries about registering on the site and set users up with logon ID and secure password.
- Respond to submitted articles for publication and pass on to the appropriate writer.
- Monitor external events submitted for posting on our calendar; provide help if necessary.
- Monitor job announcements and resumes submitted to the Jobs Board; provide assistance if needed.
- Monitor and upgrade WordPress versions as needed.
- Monitor and upgrade WordPress plugins as needed.
- Monitor comments posted to the site, if applicable.
- Monitor Google Webmaster Tools for suspicious activity; resolve problems identified.
- Monitor all Wordfence security reports for suspicious activity; add bad IP addresses to black lists.
- Run periodic cleanup of the database and trouble shoot any hacked tables.
Experience and Skills
- Ability to lead a team and to work on a team
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Previous experience managing a committee is a plus
- WordPress skills
- WordPress 4.5+ Text Editor to maintain posts and pages, necessary
- Accessibility / Section 508 requirements
- HTML 5, necessary
- Hand coding, necessary
- PHP 5+, necessary
- CSS 3, necessary
- MySQL Database management, necessary
- Familiararity with PHP includes and modularized site structure
- Knowledge of and access to FTP software
- Familiarity with file maintenance and version control
- Experience with Adobe PhotoShop and Adobe Acrobat helpful
Your own computer and software. A text editor such as BBEdit for Macintosh or Homesite 5 for Windows.
20-40 hours per year.
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Volunteer Signup form.