On this page:
Committee affiliation: Education
The Education Committee plans, organizes, and executes the annual Austin T. Brown High School Technical Communication Competition and the Shirley G. Carter Memorial Award Competition. Activities include the production and distribution of forms, receipt and judging of entries, production and distribution of letters of award notification, presentation of awards, and disposition of all other entries. The committee also helps respond to inquiries about technical communication educational resources in the Washington, DC area. Committee members may also participate in community educational programs.
In lieu of, or in addition to, the high school competitions, the Education Committee may coordinate judges of high school science fair abstracts.
The Education Committee manager does the following specific tasks:
- In November or December, develop a budget for planned projects for the year ahead (a sample budget is available).
- Guide members of the committee so that all committee duties are fulfilled.
- Develop and distribute a contact list of committee members and their roles.
- Submit a monthly status report by e-mail to the President and Vice-President (or post to the Admin Council Group's monthly status reports files) regarding all current and upcoming committee activities.
- Send letters of congratulations to award winners, teachers, parents, and the Society office.
- Send list of winners from the High School Communication Award to the website manager and Publicity Committee to publicize the awards
- Determine the award amounts and work with the Admin Council to plan a method of distribution and celebration
Experience and Skills
- Knowledge and experience with the local education systems in Maryland, Virginia, and DC is a plus.
- Ability to lead a team and to work on a team
- Good time management
- Strong communication / interpersonal skills
- An outgoing and friendly personality
- Good organizational skills
- Able to meet deadlines and able to identify and report problems with meeting those deadlines; willing to ask for help when needed
- Previous experience managing a committee is a plus
8 hours per month
If you are interested in serving the chapter as a volunteer, please fill in the Volunteer Signup form.