Plan now to attend the STC Annual Conference and Expo, the year's largest gathering of technical communicators. Here's the who-what-when-where-why and how of this year's event, links for more information, and a list of future conference sites.
This Year's Conference
Conference Headquarters: Hyatt Regency Atlanta (12 miles from the airport)
265 Peachtree Street, NE
Atlanta, GA 30303-1294
Toll Free: 800-233-1234
http://atlantaregency.hyatt.com/ [link leaves this site]
Attendees: STC Members and others interested in the arts and sciences of technical communication
Anticipated attendance: 1100
WDC members who will attend the conference:
Carolyn Kelley Klinger,
- Over 80 technical sessions covering topics such as education and training, online documentation, usability, Internet, World Wide Web, SGML, multimedia communication, management, professional development, theory and research, tools and technology, writing and editing
- Conference Proceedings
- Society annual business meeting
- Exposition (vendors of technical communication products and services, STC booths, display of STC Technical Communication Competition winners, vendor showcase sessions, and more).
- Pre-conference seminars and workshops
- Tours of area sites of technical and general interest
- Parties that only technical communicators would want to attend!
- Leadership Day: 5 May 2013
- Hotel Costs (Hyatt Regency Atlanta): $169.00 Single or Double; $179.00 triple or quad. Guest room tax is 16%
- Technical Communication Summit Registration
- Really Early Bird – $825
- Early Bird – $950
- Advance – $1,050
- Walk-in – $1325
10. You'll get lots of exercise touring the hotel and walking to and from Conference sessions.
9. You can easily complain to next year's Annual Conference committee about everything you don't like about this year's conference.
8. You will finally have a reason to hand out your business cards.
7. Where else are you going to meet the people on the TECHWR-L mailing list?
6. You'll develop professionally and expand your network of contacts.
5. Two words: tote bag!
4. Winners of the International Summit Technical Communication Competition are on display
3. Exposition Hall and Vendor showcase sessions of the hottest tools
2. 11th Annual STC Open Jam (Monday, 8 p.m.)
1. Sightseeing & Souvenirs: Atlanta. See Inside CNN Studio Tours, the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, Martin Luther King, Jr. Center, Underground Atlanta shopping, Centennial Olympic Park, Atlantic Station, High Museum of Art, Philips Arena, Atlanta Botanical Garden, the Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Zoo Atlanta, and the Atlanta History Center.
- STC Conference Accessibility Guide [link leaves this site]
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport [link leaves this site]
- Atlanta Maps & Transportation [link leaves this site]
- Atlanta Now [link leaves this site] the magazine in your hotel room for where to eat, where to stay, what to do, and where to shop.
- AtlantaPlanIt.com [link leaves this site] created by the Metropolitan Atlanta Arts and Culture Coalition (MAACC). Find events for the entire family in the areas of Dance, Museums & Heritage, Music, Out & About Activities, Theater, and Visual Arts.
- Atlanta Attractions [link leaves this site]
- Atlanta Visitor's Guide [link leaves this site] for where to eat, where to stay, what to do, and transportation.
- Conference photos
- Conference Session Materials
- Annual conference dates
- Amtrak [link leaves this site] and VIA [link leaves this site] train schedules
- American Greyhound Bus [link leaves this site]
- Subway Navigation in Washington, DC
- Metrorail map [link leaves this site])
- Metro System eAlerts & Elevator / Escalator information [link leaves this site]
- Speedtrap Registry [link leaves this site] identifies speedtraps in Canada, the US, and other countries
- Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport [link leaves this site]
- College Park Airport [link leaves this site] (Airport 1), the world's oldest continually operating airport founded in 1909 for the Wright Brothers. Also visit the College Park Aviation Museum [link leaves this site]
- Washington Dulles International Airport [link leaves this site]
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport [link leaves this site]
- U.S. Customs Service and Border Protection [link leaves this site] Contact to obtain clearance for the entry of speakers without requiring work permits and to bring in most presentation materials and handouts.
- Currency conversion tool [link leaves this site] for exchange rates from 1990 through yesterday
- Currency conversion tool [link leaves this site] – converts 164 currencies
- Currency exchange rates [link leaves this site] for both Canadian and US dollars
- Annual Conference Dates
- Conference Session Materials
- Photo Archives
- This Year's Conference Information